Wiki Observation in a physician's office?

ebrennan2

New
Best answers
One of our physicians had a patient with irregular pulse ox readings/hypoxia for a follow-up visit for a child who had been previously hospitalized and discharged for pneumonia a few days before. He decided to put her in "observation" status for about 3.5 hours and checked her pulse ox multiple times throughout the visit.

I want to use 99217, but these observation codes seem to be for hospitals only. If anything, could I use 99215 based on how much time was spent? Again, this was done in an independent pediatric office.

Last edited:
Unless these 3 1/2 hours were spent in the office before being sent to the hospital in an observation status, I think you are right. The CPT notes at the beginning of the section do state that those codes, 99217 included, are for patients "designated/admitted as 'observation status' IN A HOSPITAL." (Caps mine for emphasis).

Use an E&M code, but be sure the documentation supports time spent...I doubt the patient was under direct observation for every minute....

Thank you! On a further note, I should've mentioned that the child did not get sent to the hospital and was sent home once her levels became stable.