Wiki Observation code ?

ChristieH

Best answers
Hello, I am trying to choose a CPT code. My doctor tells me he is the admitting doc for our patient that was sent to the observation unit at the hospital. He said to bill a level 3. I don't think he realizes I have to use observation/output codes...not inpatient. This is commercial insurance. Can someone help me with the correct range of codes or code? I'm thinking it would be the 99219, but I'm not sure if this is a code for hospitalists only or if it's appropriate for my doctor as well. My doc dictated the H&P for the chart. Thank you for help.

The initial code for Observation status has three levels and requires 3 of the 3 Key components. Your Dr. would be billing an E/M code. If he indicates he wants you to bill a level 3 then this would be a 99220. The documentation must substantiate the level of service. History is comprehensive , Exam is comprehensive and the MDM is High. If the assessment and plan substantiates a level 2 then the code billed is a 99219 as there would only be two of the three key components.

Thank you

Thanks so much for your help. I'm always questioning myself when it comes to observation codes which we don't use often.