Wiki OBGYN Anesthesia Coding

lonocket

Contributor
Best answers
Good Morning,

I would love some help. I used to work in anesthesia and now am in ER coding. We are looking at picking up the anesthesia portion of one of our accounts. One of the main things I know would be very important to remember would be how to code for OBGYN. I can't for the life of me after being pretty good at it remember how. I knew how for both normal delivery, as well as C-section. I remember my boss taught me a format that I used all the time. I would very much appreciate if someone knows how to do so, and would be so kind to share this with me. I would love to be able to not only sound like I know what to do but show the possible new account I do know what to do. Thank you for any help you can share.

Lori Nocket
MAS Billing/Coder

OB Anesthesia

Hi Lori,

Unsure how much or little you need. So I will give you a little bit, if you need more let me know.

01967 epidural
01968 C section after an epidural has been started (this is an add on code)
01961 C section only (no prior epidural)

I code and enter all my anesthesia charges from an anesthesia record. If you provide more specifics, I should be able to help. Sometimes just seeing it and going "oh yeah .... I remember that now - is all you need".
Have a great evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB
Anesthesia, Pathology, and Laboratory Coder

OBGYN anesthesia

Good Morning Dana,

Thank you for replying. I suppose it is not just the code that I am looking for. I worked in ANS for about a year and when we coded OBGYN I remember their was this format that we had to look at how long it took for the baby to be delivered and we had to write that down somewhere and somehow divide it which gave us our units and things like that. Some would be for normal delivery some would be for partly normal turning into C-Section. I remember C-section being the easiest. Their was more to obgyn then just the code, it may of been how we did it where I worked but I wouldn't think so. It actually was a pretty fun cool format to do. If you don't know what I am talking about I truly understand, sometimes I know it depends on where you work on how things are done. Thank you so much again for any of your help. Have a great day!

Lori Nocket