Wiki OB ultrasound - Hello, I'm posting this question

bforr

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I'm posting this question here because apparently there is no radiology forum. I work for a large provider network, doing radiology coding. When I get my reports, they tell me what code or codes the hospital billed, and then the actual report follows. I had one recently that stated that a non-OB abdominal US was performed, along with an endovaginal US, procedures 76856 and 76830. The report, however, detailed a gestational sac with a heart beat and everything else necessary to bill an OB US. I was told by my manager that because the hospital billed 76856 and 76830 with modifier -TC, that we need to bill the same codes with -26, or we'll have issues with the insurance company.

My feeling is that this is going to be a payer-specific thing, but can anyone tell me how to find some CMS guideline somewhere that details the proper way to handle this? I feel like in this case, I should have billed 76815 and 76817 instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Your dx code will be a pregnancy diagnosis, I do not think this will go well with a non OB ultrasound. Yes your codes should match the favility, but not when the facility is incorrect!

I have been a radiology coder for 23 years coding pro-fee for the radiologists. We often do not match what the hospital has coded & billed. I don't know that we have ever had a problem with our claims being paid. It's always been mentioned at various coding conferences to match, but again we haven't seen an issue. In most cases when the exam is scheduled by the hospital schedulers they have a drop list of exams & they pick the closest. These are NOT coders & their billing/auditing depts. are usually the ones to correct the code on the back end. By this time we have long coded the case & don't even see their correction.

I always code by the radiologist's report and when there is a discrepancy or a question (such as duplex being added to a pelvis or scrotal U/S w/o an order) I send it back for clarification.

I hope this helps!

Renee, that is incredibly helpful. The only problem I have is that my manager requires documentaion to even entertain the idea of changing a policy. I'm glad that my feeling is correct, now I just need to find that pesky documentation.

OB/GYN Coding Companion

Coding tips for 76856-76857 (summarized)

It is appropriate to code a non-ob US for patient, without dx of pregnancy, for a non-ob reason, when the result confirms a pregnancy.

So, if when the US is done, if pregnancy is known before hand, and the US is being done for a pregnancy issue, then use 76815. If not previously diagnosed, used 76856.