Wiki OB Billing (physican's office)

jallonk

New
Best answers
I really hope someone can help me out. I'm trying to make sure that I'm capturing everything when billing ob deliveries: I work for a residency office and one of our attendings performs deliveries.
I have a couple of questions: 1. The attending does the antepartum, delivery, and the pt comes back (6wks) for the postpartum, do I bill each separate? If NVD, am I just billing 650 & outcome of delivery? Do I also at this time bill out the birth/delivered child (ren)?:confused:

2. One of my biggest questions is does the hospital bill the birth of the child (ren) or anytime I bill the delivery should I be automatically be billing the birth?:confused:

1. The attending does the antepartum, delivery, and the pt comes back (6wks) for the postpartum, do I bill each separate? It will depend on the insurance carrier if you can bill for a Global Delivery code 59400 (SVD), or 59510 (C-Section), these codes include the antepartum care & the pp visit if all were done by your provider. We list our visits seperately for tracking purposes or if billable services such as the NST's, U/S's and other services, as these can ususally be billed out seperately but will depend on your payors. Check with them first.
2.If NVD, am I just billing 650 & outcome of delivery? If the documentation supports a uncomplicated delivery then yes, but if the patient has any documented issues (ex: DM in pregnancy) then you would use those instead, as this tells the payor that your provider has taken care of the patient with this condition up to delivery. See your ICD-9 guidelines on the chapter 11 codes.
3.Do I also at this time bill out the birth/delivered child (ren)? I would only bill this out if your provider has actually seen the baby while in hospital or seen in the office.
4. One of my biggest questions is does the hospital bill the birth of the child (ren) or anytime I bill the delivery should I be automatically be billing the birth? This question needs more clarification.
Hope this helps a little.