Wiki NYS new law for informing patients of cost (how does one comply to this?)

ljstoker

New
Best answers
BELOW INFORMATION FROM MSSNY MAY BE FOUND AT: https://www.mssny.org/pulse-9-20-2024-healthcare-law-alert/

PULSE 9/20/2024 from MSSNY -

Healthcare Law Alert: New York’s 2024-25 Budget Imposes New Requirements on Physicians and Physician Practices

The 2024-25 New York State Budget introduces important changes that directly impact physicians and physician practices. These changes, effective October 20, 2024, address several key areas, including billing practices, patient consent, and the handling of credit card payments. Physicians and their practices must review and update their procedures to ensure compliance with these new legal requirements.

The new legislation impacts how physicians manage billing for their services. While the changes primarily target transparency of costs and patient consent, they also indirectly affect billing processes:

• Separate Consent Forms: Physicians must now separately secure the patients’ consent for treatment and consent for payment. This means that practices must create distinct forms specific to each purpose and comprehensively discuss issues related to costs with the same import as they do with clinical concerns.

This ensures that patients are fully informed about the costs of their treatment before agreeing to pay. Physicians must ensure that discussions regarding the costs of treatment occur after services. To be clear, consent for payment can only be obtained after the treatment has been provided and after the costs have been discussed with the patient. This ensures that patients ostensibly have a full understanding of the financial obligations before agreeing to pay.

The new budget also introduces specific regulations, via additions to the NYS General Business Law, regarding the use of credit cards for payment in physician practices:

• Restrictions on Pre-Authorization: Physicians are prohibited from requiring patients to preauthorize a credit card or keep one on file before delivering emergency or medically necessary services. This protects patients from unexpected charges and ensures that payment information is not collected prematurely.
  • Patient Risk Notification: Physicians must inform patients about the risks associated with using credit cards to pay for medical services. This includes notifying patients that paying with a credit card may result in the loss of certain state and federal protections related to medical debt.
Conclusion

The 2024-25 New York State Budget imposes new obligations on physicians and physician practices aimed at enhancing patient protections and ensuring greater transparency in billing and payment practices. Physicians must take steps to update their consent forms, billing procedures, and credit card policies to comply with these changes by the October 20, 2024, deadline.

How does anyone see this working? We are going to check the patient in, send them in the room with the provider they are going to do their exam and possibly a biopsy or two. Then after they do that, the provider has to discuss the cost of that treatment and then the patient gets to decide if they are going to pay it? I see so may services going to free this way.

This is a discussion and question for the higher ups, compliance, and the legal team of the practice.
There was additional info in the link you shared: For further details on these requirements and how to implement them in your practice, please contact David N. Vozza, Esq. at dnvozza@norris-law.com or call (917) 369-8867.

I agree it makes no sense.

Hello - there was a "Dear Administrator" letter sent by the NYS DOH on October 18 with some guidance on this law - I have attached it here. This is primarily aimed for hospitals. The only physician practices or clinics where this will take effect are Article 28 sites run by a hospital, if I understand this correctly. There is supposed to be further guidance as there are still many questions, but this should at least clear some of this up. It was confusing, especially about the discussions about the cost. I thought it meant that NO discussion could be made at all before treatment. I had visions of patients doing a "treat and dash", similar to restaurant patrons doing a "dine and dash." But from this document, it appears that this is meant to ensure patients can get treated regardless of financial status such as an unpaid bill for any service, not just ED services which are protected under EMTALA.

Attachments

• DAL letter from DOH - 101824.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 1