Wiki Nurse visit

Best answers
If a patient is triaged in for urinary symptoms and we ask her to come in to see the nurse and a cath urine sample was taken for a culture are we suppose to charge the 99211 and the cath? We take vitals and a brief history. Also, if they see the nurse and give a voided specimen do we charge for the nurse visit? I guess my general confusion is if a nurse visit can be charged when the patient comes in and does not see the provider at that time but the provider is in the office.
Thanks so much for your answers.

It is my understanding that a nurse billed service must meet incident to criteria. This would require a physician has already evaluated the patient's problem and established a plan of care that is being delegated to the nurse. If the UTI is new, incident to criteria would not be met and the nurse would be unable to charge a 99211.

When you state "triaged in". Do you mean via phone? If so then you cannot charge a 99211 or any other service performed by nurse or other ancillary staff as the patient has not been evaluated by your provider for a UTI face to face, with a written plan of care to include a follow up UA.