Wiki Number of CPC for large private practice

renoir

New
Best answers
I work for a large multispecialty practice. We have 22 surgeons (orthopaedic), 2 PM&R, 1 Rheumatologist, 9 physician's assistants, 1 retired orthopedic surgeon (he no longer performs surgery but does see patient's in the office).

We have 2 certified coders. Our responsibilites include coding all surgeries (scheduled and on call) by the operative report and entering the charges, code and enter infusion therapy charges, enter ESI/FACET injection charges. We also pre-code surgical procedures, we are responsible for all charge entry corrections. We have to assist our collection department with appeals. We are also responsbile for updating payer policies. We are also responsible for E&M audits.

I feel we need more certified coders but I wanted some input from my peers.

How large is your practice and how many coders to you employ?

Do you have the same/less or more responsibilites than we do?

Thanks in advance for the feed back.

I used to work for a practice of 5 providers and we had 4 billers/coders. we did have more responsibilities though. I was told that for every 2 providers, there should be 1 coder/biller. I recommend you getting at least 2 more coders to assist with all the work.

It depends on the duties. I suggest that rather than looking for what other people do; you do an analysis of what you are currently doing. List your specific duties, tasks and responsibilities and how long it takes you to do them accurately and compliantly. I'm assuming you'll show that you can't get it all done in a 40 hour week. Then calculate how many additional coders/billers it would take to do the work.

I have heard (but can't support it in any way), that every 2 surgeons should have one coder, and every 5 consultative providers (i.e. Endocrinologists, Neurologists) that don't perform surgeries should have one coder. These coders do coding only....no charge entry, no billing/accounts receivable, no patient calls, credentialling or anything else that's not coding or denial management related to coding.