Wiki NSTEMI vs. CTO (PTCI)

econnolly

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
I would like your opinions on coding for an interventional procedure when the patient presents with an acute NSTEMI and diagnostic angiography shows a CTO of the LAD, which is treated with angioplasty and stent.

I understand the hierarchy of the codes, however according to CPT the PCI codes in this case, as well as the RVU values, are equal (92943= 92941= 92933).

Is one PCI code "more correct" than the other in this case?
(FYI, I coded as 92941 based on the presenting diagnosis, which brought the patient to the Cath Lab).

Any thoughts on this scenario are appreciated!

Hello,
I would like your opinions on coding for an interventional procedure when the patient presents with an acute NSTEMI and diagnostic angiography shows a CTO of the LAD, which is treated with angioplasty and stent.

I understand the hierarchy of the codes, however according to CPT the PCI codes in this case, as well as the RVU values, are equal (92943= 92941= 92933).

Is one PCI code "more correct" than the other in this case?
(FYI, I coded as 92941 based on the presenting diagnosis, which brought the patient to the Cath Lab).

Any thoughts on this scenario are appreciated!

I would consider the acute/emergent nature of a NSTEMI to be the primary dx, and subsequently the "more correct" cpt.

HTH :)