Wiki NP seeing a patient inhouse

landv

Contributor
Best answers
My provider is a General Surgeon and he is independent; he is not employed by a hospital, etc. We do not employ a NP or PA in our office however my provider
uses a hospital employed NP to round on his patient's. My provider still oversees the patient care and signs off on everything. Can my provider still bill the 99232,99231 codes if he signs off
on the notes? Thanks for helping me!

Any input would be appreciated!

Your provider cannot bill for the work provided by a PA (or any clinician) not part of your practice. If your doc is simply signing off and not seeing/examining the patient, you cannot bill for those services.

Thank u for your response. I'm aware the doctor will have to examine and see the patient; I wasn't sure if any of the NP's work can be counted towards his documentation or not....
Since they are not employed by our practice.

No, only your physician's work is counted. The one exception I can think of is for teaching physicians, the work of residents/fellows. Your physician can get credit for supervising resident/fellow work provided certain requirements are met (teaching physician must be present or see pt independently same day & perform key elements, etc.)

You should think of your situation this way - if another physician (not part of your practice) saw the patient, you clearly wouldn't count the other physician's work, so the same would apply here. Just because the other clinician is a PA does not change that they are not part of your practice. For a PA employed by the hospital, typically the hospital has some type of billing practice in place to bill for that PAs work.