Wiki Newly Credentialed CPC-A

esmer77

Best answers
Hello anyone, everyone!!
My name is Linda Angeles, I passed my CPC certification exam back in April of this year. I am currently enrolled in AAPCs CPB certification course. At this moment I am not employed and have yet to begin my job search, I have read about have difficult it can be for beginners (rookies) to find employment in the medical coding field, this one reason why I decided to go forward with my education and hopefully secure my next credential as a CPB. I do have to admit as a beginner I often have moments when I think, "What if I get a job and I forget everything I have learned". I also have moments when I feel I do not know anything or I do not know enough to secure employment. I know I can only learn so much and that all the courses can only teach me so much, I need to go out and gain work experience, I need to put my knowledge to the test.

I am wondering if there are any seasoned coders and/or billers who can offer some words of wisdom or encouragement. I would greatly appreciate any tips or mentoring. Am I silly to think such things or is this a normal thing that every beginner faces when going into a new career?

Thank you for letting me vent even if no one reads this, sometimes it helps just to put it out there.

You are not alone! :)

I'm not sure I qualify as a "seasoned coder" ... while I'm relatively new to coding, I've been around the block and changed careers a few times.

A search of the forums will turn up many such threads. Unfortunately, many are discouraged because they paid big bucks for a program on the promise they could have their pick of jobs or even work from home with no experience. There are no short cuts in life. Sure, passing the CPC exam is awesome and puts you ahead of applicants without credentials ... but you're still behind experienced coders. (This is not unique to coders either, it's true of many vocational programs.)

That said, it sounds like you have a great outlook! You're being realistic that it's going to take some effort to get "in" ... but once you do, you're set. Multiple credentials is a good option. In many fields employers trade off experience for education all the time (2 years experience or an Associate's degree, 4 years or a Bachelor's degree) so the additional training and credential could help. Computer skills and communication skills are also big and will help bring your resume to the top of the pile.

Common advice is to apply for "everything" and just get in the door where you want to be. A "Front Office" job would get you work experience, allow you to learn their computer system, and even get your feet wet in the Billing world because you'll be verifying insurance eligibility (most of our denied claims are a result of the incorrect insurance verification).

Don't worry, you won't forget everything. By passing the CPC you demonstrated you know "how" to code and apply guidelines ... that's all you need. The exam was "cover to cover" but once you land a job you will most likely be in one specialty and dealing with a much smaller number of codes. We see the same thing day after day. Sure, every now and then there's something new or unique, but mostly you see the same runny noses and ear infections (I work in pediatrics). You will quickly become an expert on your piece of the pie. One final twist - you'll be dealing with insurances that want things coded a specific way. Why? Because they said so. You will code the identical item one way for one insurance and another way for a different insurance. You will be constantly learning and once you have everything mastered, an insurance company will suddenly change their mind of how they want it done.

In my opinion, going to college (or any other education program) is less about the subject matter than it is "learning how to learn" ... which it sounds like you've mastered. I'd start job-shopping now. You can keep working on the CPB and building your resume while you're looking. It just takes one employer willing to "take a chance" on you so the sooner you start looking the better.

Vent anytime! Good luck.

?

Thank you so much for your words, I truly appreciate any information I can get my hands on. I have finished my CPB course and have enrolled in AAPC's E/M training course, I feel that since I don't have the experience to get my foot in the door that the more education I have will be my way in. I will be taking my CPB certification exam in September, I have seen many current employers looking for medical billers which is why I enrolled in the course. Assuming I pass I will then begin to rebuild my resume and get it out there to potential employers.

Thank you again for your words of wisdom and encouragement☺️