Wiki newborn well visits

perkins05

Expert
Best answers
newborn

first seen at 4 days old - well visit 99381 v20.2

second visit at 11 days old - well visit doing well but undecended testicles and phimosis discovered...referred to peds urologist ( what should this be?)

third visit at 25 days old - well visit 99391 v20.2

My question is what are the time lines for newborn wellness checkups? Also should his second encounter be coded as a OV instead of PE

Normally we see them at 3-5 days old, then around 2-3 weeks for f/u feeding/weight ck then if no issues we start the 2 mo 4mo 6mo 9mo 12mo 15mo 18mo 2years then once a year after. Aap calls for this schedule. You can check it on thier website. Some insurances will only pay for so many visits so i try and stick to this schedule. Also our secretaries know this so they can book accordingly. If anything occurs in between these visits it s/b a sick related visit. Hope that helps. As for that 11 day old visit that would be sick on our books but it depends on your md's documentation.:)

new well baby codes

Note there are new codes for well baby check ups based on age:
- v20.31 = 0-8 days of life
- v20.32 = 8-28 days of life
- then the regular v20.2 code is used after 28 days of life

Coding well baby visits in the office

Hi there,
I'm just trying to get a more rounded exposure to all things coding and wanted to know how you bill for those 2mo, 4mo, etc visits in the office. I just find coding really interesting and would appreciate any responses. Thanks !

regularly scheduled well baby checks (3 days of life, 2 weeks of life, 4 weeks of life, 2 months of life, 4 months..., 6 months..., 9 months..., 12 months..., 15 months..., 18 months..., 24 months...) are coded as a preventive procedure code (99381, 99391, 99382, 99392)