Wiki Newborn coding

cmbizpro

Contributor
Best answers
I have a question about the newborn hospital coding. I am billing a 99460 on the initial visit with V30.XX. What is included in the normal NB E&M? We have had NB with some other findings; ie. abnormal hearing, minor lacerations on the head, feeding difficulties on initial exam, and hyperbili, etc. In these cases should I be adding a 99224-99226?

Healthy Newborn vs Non-routine Newborn visits

Hi,
Per the 2013 E&M services for age 28 days or less,
99460 Includes Family consultation, Healthy Newborn H&P, Medical record documentation, Ordering of diagnostic tests and treatments & services provided to Healthy newborns <28 days.
But DOES NOT include:
Neonatal intensive and cirtical care, Hospital discharge or Non-routine neonatal impatient E&M services (99221-99233)
Codes 99224-99226 are for 'Subsequent Observation' which includes changes in patient's status, medical record review and review of diagnostic test results.

So, I would say that if the newborn care warrented additional services because of the additional 'non-routine' diagnostic findings, you could bill for one of the 'subsequent' visit codes (99224-99226), however, if the physician did not see the patient any time other than the initial newborn visit, you could not bill additional charges, but COULD add additional diagnosis' to 99460.

If the baby has problems after being born should a subsequent newborn or a subsequent Inpatient code be used? I've noticed some of our physician's are using 99232 for a newborn (under 28 days) with neonatal opiate withdrawal or when the diagnosis is "pre-mature." This baby has been in the hospital for 2 - 3 weeks.