Wiki Newborn Coding

Best answers
Hey all,

I just started working with a new clinic that does a lot of newborn admissions and roundings at our hospital. A lot of providers want me to bill H&P and Discharge same day for the babys. Here is the situation:

Patient is born on 9/1. Doctor documents his H&P on 9/2. Documentation includes a line that states "anticipate discharge tomorrow." Doctor does not make any more documentation, but then requests that I charge the H&P/Discharge Same day for 9/2.

Now, I know that the 99463 code goes by the doctor's actual date of service, and note the hospital dates of admission and discharge. The problem I have with this is that the provider is saying "anticipate discharge tomorrow" and then not making any more notes. I feel like this documentation is not supportive enough of the 99463 code. Any thoughts and/or advise on this?

I agree, I would only do the 99460. My peds docs document a seperate discharge note (cord care, bathing, feeding, etc...) for every newborn, even if h/p was done the same day. Say, H/P on morning rounds, then patient is being discharged that afternoon, Doc will go back and see them again and document the discharge.

Good luck!