Wiki Newborn care

Dug94Jen

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I was hoping that someone would be able to give me advice on whether or not I can give a discharge cpt code and a neonatal critical care cpt code on the same day. Or do I just code one or the other? Thank you.:confused:

NICU codes are pretty inclusive

NICU codes are pretty inclusive ... what is your scenario. Did the child die?
Was the child transferred to another facility with high level of care available?

If the child passed away and your physician pronounced the baby, you COULD charge the discharge separately from 99468-99476 codes ... but would you want to?

If the child was transferred to another hospital CPT guidelines tell us that the physician who transfers the patient should report the 99291-99292 codes (plus discharge) and the receiving physician should report the neonatal ICU codes. (CPT 2009 Professional Edition, page 34, last paragraph -continuing on page 35)

I can't imagine any other situation in which a critically ill neonate would be "discharged." If the baby is well enough to go home, the baby is no longer critically ill.

If you can expand on the scenario I might be able to offer more guidance. Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

donna.raper@lpnt.net

Can 99468 be used by a pediatrician in a facility that does not have an NICU, newborn has breathing difficulty, progessively worsens, requires intensive monitoring, resucitation, and subsequently dies, unsure of code to use due to facility does not have NICU.