Wiki Newbie with question on CPT codes

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Hello,

I have this OP note and want to be sure that I am in the right area for coding it.

PROC: Exploration of abdominal; removal of foreign body.

OP NOTE: due to bilaterality of patient's periumbilical abdominal pain, an 8 cm supraumbilical transverse incision was made with a 15-blade scalpel. This was carried down through the subcu tissues using Bovie. A combination of electrocautery and blunted dissection was used to isolate an area of scar tissue on the patient's right side. Upon further exploration, we noted both sutures from a previous umb. hernia repair as well as mesh from a right lower abd. hernia repair. The mesh and surrounding scar tissue was excised down to the level of the fascia. In order to perform this, a combination of Bovie and blunt dissection was performed. They closed this with 30 Vicrylc and interupted nylons.

Would I use the 49000 code for abd. exploration for this as well as 11008-59 for removal of the mesh? Should there be another code for the scar tissue?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is much appreciated.

Peggy

Look at 49402. I would use that code.

11008 is an add on code that can only be billed in conjunction w/ 11004-11006. That would not be the right codes.