Wiki New Vs. Established

Best answers
We have a large Medical practice that uses hospitalist(Internist). If one of our hospitalist sees a patient as an in-patient and then the patient comes to see one of our Internist physicians would this be considered a new patient or established? From my notes I see the new vs. establish patient applies only in the physcian's office or outpatient setting.Anyone know?
Thanks, LJ

new vs estab

This would be a new pateint visit as long as the patient hasn't been seen by one of the providers in the office in the past 3 years. Hope this helps.

We have a large Medical practice that uses hospitalist(Internist). If one of our hospitalist sees a patient as an in-patient and then the patient comes to see one of our Internist physicians would this be considered a new patient or established? From my notes I see the new vs. establish patient applies only in the physcian's office or outpatient setting.Anyone know?
Thanks, LJ

If the patient has received a face-to-face professional medical service from the physician within the past three years and that encounter was reported by means of one or more CPT codes, then the patient would be considered an established patient.

In your case patient is established since one of your hospitalists already provided a face-to-face service.