Wiki new vs established patient

mrsseeling

Contributor
Best answers
The CPT book states "an established patient is one who has recieved professional services from the physician/qualigied health care professional or another physician/qualified health care professional of the exact same specialty and subspecialty who belongs to the same group practice, within the past three years." My question is this, a patient sees an orthopedic physician and is now seeing a podiatrist. Is this a new patient or an established patient? I understand the CPT states "subspecialty," however when the podiatrist sees the patient they are looking at different body areas and also having to spend more time gathering information then if this was an established patient.
Thanks for any help or clarification.

Are the Othopedic Surgeon and Podiatrist part of the same group? If yes then they are an established patient. Cause in my eyes and without looking up definitions an orthopedic surgeon is more general than a podiatrist.

The CPT book states "an established patient is one who has recieved professional services from the physician/qualigied health care professional or another physician/qualified health care professional of the exact same specialty and subspecialty who belongs to the same group practice, within the past three years." My question is this, a patient sees an orthopedic physician and is now seeing a podiatrist. Is this a new patient or an established patient? I understand the CPT states "subspecialty," however when the podiatrist sees the patient they are looking at different body areas and also having to spend more time gathering information then if this was an established patient.
Thanks for any help or clarification.

You need to see how both providers registered their NPI's with Medicare. If they have different taxonomy codes, they are considered different specialty/subspecialty, and the podiatrist visit can be considered New Patient. If same taxonomy code, then I agree with Ben, established.

HTH!