Wiki New to Podiatry coding & need advice on digital blocks used for post op pain & billable?

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
I'm fairly new to podiatry coding for surgical procedures. A company has reached out to me to file claims for them that typically perform bunionectomy's and the surgeon will document in his OP report, the DX , anesthesia given/performed, and the procedure. I have been informed that digital blocks are billable if documented for post op pain however I have not been able to find this answer, either way. These services are being performed at a surgical suite/ASC center.

If I am coding both, professional and facility, I have been asked to code as follows:
Professional:
HCFA CPT 28299 RT/LT

Anesthesia: HCFA
01480 - with beginning & end time

UB04
28299 - or services REV Code 0360
C1713 - Supply / Implants REV Code 0278

Can a digital block be billed and if so, is there a modifier to be used or???

Anesthesia is another issue for me as I have been informing the owner that anesthesia documented as "general" and given an oral medication is not billable as anesthesia by a CRNA and or Anesthesiologist. If anesthesia is documented in the OP note as "general anesthesia was administered via laryngeal mask anesthesia yet does not document the medication used, can it be billed as anesthesia?

Any help with this coding scenario would be greatly appreciated.