Wiki New to Pathology Coding

Best answers
Hi to all fellow coders!

I am new to coding pathology. It's not the CPT codes that have me questioning everything, its the dx coding that has me pulling out my hair. Can anyone please give me some tips on how to correctly choose dx codes?! All advice is good advice!!!!! Thanks in advance!

Do I code clinical history? acute colitis??? this is my problem most of the time!!

Ex:
Clinical History Rectal Bleeding

DX:
A: Colon, Proximal Descending Biopsy:
mild acute colitis with cryptitis
B: Colon, mid descending, biopsy
mild acute colitis and free floating fragment of necrotic debris
c: colon, rectal, biopsy
colonic mucosa with mild lamina propria fibrosis

If you have the pathologist interpretation then use the result as you dx. So instead of rectal bleeding use the result of the bx such as acute colitis.

Hello there, and welcome !
Can I ask you a question --- are you coding for a pathology group? Or, are you just seeing the pathology reports as they come to your clinical practice ?

Hi to all fellow coders!

I am new to coding pathology. It's not the CPT codes that have me questioning everything, its the dx coding that has me pulling out my hair. Can anyone please give me some tips on how to correctly choose dx codes?! All advice is good advice!!!!! Thanks in advance!

Do I code clinical history? acute colitis??? this is my problem most of the time!!

Ex:
Clinical History Rectal Bleeding

DX:
A: Colon, Proximal Descending Biopsy:
mild acute colitis with cryptitis
B: Colon, mid descending, biopsy
mild acute colitis and free floating fragment of necrotic debris
c: colon, rectal, biopsy
colonic mucosa with mild lamina propria fibrosis

You always code the findings for pathology. If there are no pathologic findings then you must code the history. Your diagnosis would be acute colitis with cryptitis. You would have only coded the Rectal bleeding if there was no other findings. I hope this helps.

Pathology Coding

You always code the findings for pathology. If there are no pathologic findings then you must code the history. Your diagnosis would be acute colitis with cryptitis. You would have only coded the Rectal bleeding if there was no other findings. I hope this helps. There is no diagnosis code for the fibrosis.