Wiki New to ortho coding..please help

Robbin109

Expert
Best answers
I'm learning ortho coding and Our coding company coded this report as 29822 and 29826. I'm wondering why wasn't the partial synovectomy (29820) coded? Should it have been?

A diagnostic arthroscopy was performed with details of findings and then...

"Once pathology had been indentified a 3.5 full-radius shaver was inserted, the frayed edges of the labrum were debrided and the hypertrophic synocial tissue and unstable articular cartilage was removed from both the glenoid and from the humeral head.

The shoulder was then carefuuly inspected again to make sure that there were no other areas of pathology. No loose bodies were noted and again the rotator cuff appeared to be intact.

Once the debridement had been performed and partial synovectomy and chrondroplasty, attention was directed to subacromial space.

This was noted to be significantly narrowed with significant amount of scar tissue and frayed rotator cuff.

Through a lateral portal, a 4.0 full radius shaver was inserted and a subacromial bursectomy was performed. The subacromial decompression was then completed with a 4.0 shaver, the Arthrocare unit controlling bleeding and also releasing the coracoacromial ligament and the undersurface fo the acromion, both anteriorly and laterally was debrided to allow adequate space for the rotator cuff. The cuff was then carefully inspected and no defects were noted with internal-external rotation or in neutral position.

The shaver and bur were reinserted to remove more of the acromion to make certain there was adequate space for the rotator cuff and that no impingement would recur."

Thank you

I'm learning ortho coding and Our coding company coded this report as 29822 and 29826. I'm wondering why wasn't the partial synovectomy (29820) coded? Should it have been?

A diagnostic arthroscopy was performed with details of findings and then...

"Once pathology had been indentified a 3.5 full-radius shaver was inserted, the frayed edges of the labrum were debrided and the hypertrophic synocial tissue and unstable articular cartilage was removed from both the glenoid and from the humeral head.

The shoulder was then carefuuly inspected again to make sure that there were no other areas of pathology. No loose bodies were noted and again the rotator cuff appeared to be intact.

Once the debridement had been performed and partial synovectomy and chrondroplasty, attention was directed to subacromial space.

This was noted to be significantly narrowed with significant amount of scar tissue and frayed rotator cuff.

Through a lateral portal, a 4.0 full radius shaver was inserted and a subacromial bursectomy was performed. The subacromial decompression was then completed with a 4.0 shaver, the Arthrocare unit controlling bleeding and also releasing the coracoacromial ligament and the undersurface fo the acromion, both anteriorly and laterally was debrided to allow adequate space for the rotator cuff. The cuff was then carefully inspected and no defects were noted with internal-external rotation or in neutral position.

The shaver and bur were reinserted to remove more of the acromion to make certain there was adequate space for the rotator cuff and that no impingement would recur."

Thank you

Most docs will tell you that there's not a big difference between a debridement and a synovectomy. You can capture the 29822 on the labrum debridement but I would personally capture 29823 (extensive) to capture the labrum, humeral head and synovitis as well. I would like to see more documentation of the bone work for 29826 but I would submit as 29826 + 29823.