Wiki New to Opthal/Opto

hcg

Guru
Best answers
We just started billing an opthalmologist Dr. & I am still confused about the eye exam codes (92002-92014 or 99201-99215) Vs. E & M code (99201-99205 or 99211-99215). Is there a particular way that I need to know when to use these codes and which one to bill?

Every information that I get is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun world of Ophthalmology/Optometry coding! There is a lot of information out there on the web, but I happen to like this site. It has a lot of clear articles about the finer points of eye coding: http://www.corcoranccg.com/

The short answer to your question of when to bill 92xxx codes vs 99xxx codes is: it depends on the documentation and the payer. If your ophthalmologist is seeing routine eye exams and billing to vision plans, most of them request 92xxx codes. If s/he is seeing problems/medical eye exams, there's more variety but in general most payers in my experience prefer the 99xxx codes. This is just a general rule, though. Also, the documentation requirements are stricter with the 99xxx codes so if your doc's documentation isn't up to snuff, sometimes 92xxx codes are the way to go.

Lastly, as a tie-breaker, it's sometimes good to check out the fee schedules on your major payers. If the documentation supports a 99214, you might want to use that instead of a 92012, for instance. On the other hand, if your documentation only supports a 99213, you might be better off using a 92012.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Welcome to the fun world of Ophthalmology/Optometry coding! There is a lot of information out there on the web, but I happen to like this site. It has a lot of clear articles about the finer points of eye coding: http://www.corcoranccg.com/

The short answer to your question of when to bill 92xxx codes vs 99xxx codes is: it depends on the documentation and the payer. If your ophthalmologist is seeing routine eye exams and billing to vision plans, most of them request 92xxx codes. If s/he is seeing problems/medical eye exams, there's more variety but in general most payers in my experience prefer the 99xxx codes. This is just a general rule, though. Also, the documentation requirements are stricter with the 99xxx codes so if your doc's documentation isn't up to snuff, sometimes 92xxx codes are the way to go.

Lastly, as a tie-breaker, it's sometimes good to check out the fee schedules on your major payers. If the documentation supports a 99214, you might want to use that instead of a 92012, for instance. On the other hand, if your documentation only supports a 99213, you might be better off using a 92012.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Thank you so much Anna. That gave me a clear clarification on what code to use. Thank you also for the link that you shared. I would certainly look into this website. I greatly appreciated your help.

Also New to Ophthalmology

I too am new to the eye world.. Are the eye exam requirements different for 99xxx codes than for 92xxx. If using the eye specialty exam template, can you code the 99xxx codes without other organ systems/body areas being documented?