Wiki New to ENT/Audiology coding - HELP

kkiger123

New
Best answers
Good morning, everyone! I have landed my first coding position, and I will be coding for an ENT/audiology office. I am completely new to ENT/Audiology. I have my AAPC CIC cert so I am familiar with the coding guidelines, etc. Any tips/tricks or things I should know as far as office visits, injections, and in-office procedures? I will not be doing any of the coding for the hospital procedures. I am trying to do all the research I can prior to taking over this office in July. Thanks!!!

First of all, congratulations on the new position! I am a little jealous only because ENT and Audiology is where I started in this field and to this day, wish I could go back to that specialty. You will find in ENT that they treat a lot of the same thing, especially office procedures. Ear cleanings, nasal endoscopies, allergy testing and injections, etc. The more familiar you are with disease processes that are commonly treated by an ENT and Audiologist, the more confident you will become with the coding. So, my advice would be to start there. If you are visual learner, Youtube is a great resource. I've watched many procedures to better understand what the doctor is doing.

Feel free to keep my contact info handy. I worked in ENT/Audiology for 5 years before moving on to other specialties.

--
Ryan Stroup, CPC
codingbyryan1@outlook.com

First of all, congratulations on the new position! I am a little jealous only because ENT and Audiology is where I started in this field and to this day, wish I could go back to that specialty. You will find in ENT that they treat a lot of the same thing, especially office procedures. Ear cleanings, nasal endoscopies, allergy testing and injections, etc. The more familiar you are with disease processes that are commonly treated by an ENT and Audiologist, the more confident you will become with the coding. So, my advice would be to start there. If you are visual learner, Youtube is a great resource. I've watched many procedures to better understand what the doctor is doing.

Feel free to keep my contact info handy. I worked in ENT/Audiology for 5 years before moving on to other specialties.

--
Ryan Stroup, CPC
codingbyryan1@outlook.com
What about as far as modifiers go? Right now I code for GI so I am familiar with using the Mod 25. Also, do you have any experience with the Botox injections because I know they do those.