Wiki New to Cardiology coding

jpollard

Best answers
Hi. I am brand new to Cardiology coding and need help with a difficult (for me) case. Thanks in advance for your help!! :) Here goes.

The left subclavian site was infiltrated with 1% lidodaine. A 7French sheath was placed in the vein without difficulty. The pocket was created using sharp and blunt dissection. A second 7 French sheath was placed. Gauze soaked with tobramycin was placed in the pocket.
We attempted to place the pacemaker wire but it did not go in the expected course to the superior vena cava. It was removed. A venogram showed persistent left superior vena cava going into a markedly dilated coronary sinus and then into the atrium. I felt that we would not be able to negotiate these angles to place wires into the right ventricle and so the sheaths were pulled. Hemostasis obtained by manual pressure. Gauze was removed from the pocket. The pocket was closed with 2-0 Vicryl and Steri-Strips.
The right subclavian site was then infiltrated with 2% lidocaine. Two sheaths were placed in the vein and a pocket was created as on the left. Prior to doing this we performed a venogram on the right confirming patency through the superior vena cava into the right atrium. We then tried to place a right ventricular lead into the right ventricle. The majority of the time it would go into the dilated coronary sinus and vena cava. At times we did enter the right ventricle, but the wire would not go into the apex no matter how we tried. We had significant ventricular ectopy during this time. The wire would go out the pulmonary artery. After multiple wires, we then tried to get a wire placed into the right ventricular apex using a 6 French JR-4 coronary diagnostic catheter. This was unsuccessful. Again, anytime we entered the right ventricle the wire would not go into the apex but would be deflected upward into the pulmonary artery or out into the coronary sinus again. We also tried a multipurpose catheter.
We decided to terminate the case.
The sheaths were pulled with hemostasis by manual pressure. The gauze was removed from the pocket. It was thoroughly irrigated with saline and tobramycin solution. The pocket was closed with 2-0 Vicryl. This gave a good skin closure which was reinforced with Steri-Strips.

Ventricle or Artium

We are looking to see if doctor did not intend to do a right atrium then the procedure code would be 33207,53 for single lead but if doctor intended to do the right atrium and right ventricle then it would be the dual lead 33208,53. Anytime the doctor terminates the procedure you would use the 53 modifier letting insurance know the physician discontinued the procedure.

Thank you very much. I have a call in to the Doc to determine "single or dual" lead. I think I was over thinking this and making it too complicated! I appreciate your speedy reply.