Wiki New to Cardiology - Caths and Angios

rpettigrewcpc

Contributor
Best answers
I'm new to coding cardiology and having some struggles on determining the correct cath codes. Specifically when I'm trying to determine when to use 93454 and 93455 verses 93458 and 93459.

I received a report today where the cardiologist performed a:

Coronary Angiography
SVG Angiography
LIMA Angiography
and Stent x 1 in the Left Main

I found documentation online showing that SVG and "IMA" is included in the Coronary Angiography .. but is "IMA" different from "LIMA"???

I was going to code 93455,26,59 and 92928, LM. However, I can't help but feel I should possibly be using 93459 instead of 93455.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

I'm new to coding cardiology and having some struggles on determining the correct cath codes. Specifically when I'm trying to determine when to use 93454 and 93455 verses 93458 and 93459.

I received a report today where the cardiologist performed a:

Coronary Angiography
SVG Angiography
LIMA Angiography
and Stent x 1 in the Left Main

I found documentation online showing that SVG and "IMA" is included in the Coronary Angiography .. but is "IMA" different from "LIMA"??? NO.
I was going to code 93455,26,59 and 92928, LM. However, I can't help but feel I should possibly be using 93459 instead of 93455.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

93458-59 require that the left heart (ventricle) be accessed with a catheter. Based on what you describe, I would code 93455 for the angiography because there is no indication the left ventricle was accessed.

The "IMA" just means that laterality was not documented, it is either the LIMA or the RIMA .(see answer to your question above).

HTH :)

93458-59 require that the left heart (ventricle) be accessed with a catheter. Based on what you describe, I would code 93455 for the angiography because there is no indication the left ventricle was accessed.

The "IMA" just means that laterality was not documented, it is either the LIMA or the RIMA .(see answer to your question above).

HTH :)

Thank you SO much for your response! .. I greatly appreciate it. :)