Wiki New Pediatric Coder/Biller Needs Help!!

ljbloem

Best answers
My doctor is an integrative/holistic pediatrician. Pt has mild/moderate Autism. Doc ordered extensive blood work to look for deficiencies and allergies/intolerances. Doc has spent lengthy time interpreting results and in consultation with mother regarding the results and how to go forward. I have had simple training in coding and billing and have no mentor. This is a bit intricate for me. How do I code for this? Thank you!!:confused:

There is no simple answer for this. Did the provider do a well child check or was he/she seen solely for autism? New patient or established?

New Pediatric Coder/Biller Needs Help!

There is no simple answer for this. Did the provider do a well child check or was he/she seen solely for autism? New patient or established?

Thank you.

The visit in question was primarily a two hour counseling session with the parent of the patient explaining the results of the blood work, its implications and the treatment plan.

The blood work resulted in five different reports that the doctor spent several hours interpreting beforehand to determine treatment.

There was only about a 5 minute face-to-face with Pt.

You may want to start with Google, then investigate everything you find with the CPT book to verify. I recently had a go-around with a pedi neurologist who wanted to bill for an office visit as well as 96110 developmental screening. And just to stop the bunny trail feedback, no the documentation did not support a seperate office visit/25 mod.

Start in the range of 96110 and see what your documenatation supports best. Good luck!