Wiki New patient?

burneyatc

New
Best answers
Hello!
Sorry if this is really dumb....but I have a Psychiatrist who just brought on a Psychologist as a independent contractor. We bill them under the same tax ID. Even though they are both mental health, but not exactly the same discipline....can I still use New Patient codes for patients who are new to the psychologist but have been seen by the psychiatrist?

THANKS!

No, not if the psychologist's services are billed under the same tax ID #....the patient would be considered an established patient to the practice. However, if you're auditing the E&M, the "problem" would be considered new to the psychologist the first time he/she sees the patient.

It's been awhile since I've done psych billing, but when I did, a psychiatrist and psychologist were different specialties; one's a medical doctor, and the other is a doctor of philosophy, with no medical degree. Different specialties in the same group can bill new patient visits...it's not entirely tax-ID driven. However, I don't believe a psychologist could bill E&M visits, such as a psychiatrist (MD) can. Did that change?? I always billed a 90801 for the first diagnostic interview with the psychologist.
But if the patient saw the psychologist first, then the psychiatrist, (MD) can bill 9920X as a new patient.

I'm interested.....can psychologists now bill E&M? how do you meet the exam criteria for a non-medical practitioner?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help!
It turned out to be a dumb question....not enough caffeine this morning. You brought up a great point....the psychologist does not bill an E/M code! For some reason i was thinking 90801 implied New patient, but it doesn't, so I'm good now!

Thank you all :)