Wiki "New Patient - Get to Know"

jaud63

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am presently working for a FP group of MD's who frequently see patients who arrive at the clinic for a new patient "get to know" visit. The patient may or may not have chronic conditions however, are not being treated for services the same date. Is there anything in CPT that is reflective of this type of service?

I am presently working for a FP group of MD's who frequently see patients who arrive at the clinic for a new patient "get to know" visit. The patient may or may not have chronic conditions however, are not being treated for services the same date. Is there anything in CPT that is reflective of this type of service?

If I recall correctly, a meet and greet does not have a cpt code. If the doctor met the requirements of an e/m code you could bill that.

CPT does not have any codes for this and insurance companies will not pay for this type of visit. Payment is predicated on medical necessity and meeting the physician prior to establishing care while nice is not medically necessary.

Your physicians could set aside time each week for this type of appointment and just not charge or they could have a minimum charge for their time and let people know what the charge is for and how much it is when they call for these appointments. This probably won't go over very well with prospective patients, but the physicians would have to weigh the pros and cons.