Wiki New Patient Case by Case basis

mrsjehu

Networker
Best answers
I work with an Internal Medicine Dr. He is wanting to see about taking new patients on a case by case basis. Basically, we would have them fill out NP paperwork, try and get some chart notes from their previous physician. Then our Dr. could review and make sure that he is a good fit to give the patient the proper care. Does anyone know if this is OK? I haven't been able to find anywhere that it is not ok and have actually seen several offices are doing this. However, just because people are doing this doesn't mean it's correct. We just want to make sure that we aren't violating any laws or anything we always like everything above board! Any information would be greatly appreciated! :D

If a patient gives proper consent for medical record release and for his/her chart to be reviewed for acceptance I'm on the same page as you.

Lena

P.S. I like the Stig!

We have to view this case from both the provider standpoint and the patient standpoint. Is there any specific reason the doctor now wants to see new patients on a case by case basis? If you can provide the prospective patients with a reason such as the doctor is now in semi-retirement, or he/she is planning to focus treating patients with certain medical conditions that sounds reasonable. Having a good reason for refusing to provide care to an individual who has sought this provider out from word of mouth, or information they have researched would help avoid negative press. You can imagine that if a prospective patient fills out NP paperwork, submits it then is told they cannot be seen, well they would not be very happy and probably won't say very nice things. So I just think it would be wise to advise them up front that there is no guarantee they will be accepted as a patient, and the possible reasons why would allow them to make the decision to proceed or not, and if not accepted well they have no reason to be upset. JMO, and hope that helps.

-Rod