Wiki New pain patient

cbunti

Best answers
When your clinic sees a patient for the 1st time and performs an epidural, do you code the new patient visit as well as the injection code? 99203, 62311.

Yes, we do. The office visit will have to have a -25 modifier. A new patient visit is "above and beyond" the usual office vist that is normally bundled with a procedure, therefore it is separately payable.

cbunti,

I do not agree with the blanket statement that it's appropriate to bill an E&M on every new pain patient. I'm guessing that most of your pain procedures have a 0 or 10 day global period which is a minor surgical procedure. NCCI is very clear on this point. The -25 modifier over-rides the edit allowing payment and is telling the payer that the E&M is significant, separately identifiable from the procedure which I don't believe is ALWAYS the case. I have attached the NCCI link and excerpt below:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/01_overview.asp#TopOfPage

"If a procedure has a global period of 000 or 010 days, it is defined as a minor surgical procedure. The decision to perform a minor surgical procedure is included in the payment for the minor surgical procedure and should not be reported separately as an E&M service. However, a significant and separately identifiable E&M service unrelated to the decision to perform the minor surgical procedure is separately reportable with modifier 25. The E&M service and minor surgical procedure do not require different diagnoses. If a minor surgical procedure is performed on a new patient, the same rules for reporting E&M services apply. The fact that the patient is “new” to the provider is not sufficient alone to justify reporting an E&M service on the same date of service as a minor surgical procedure. NCCI does contain some edits based on these principles, but the Medicare Carriers (A/B MACs processing practitioner service claims) have separate edits. Neither the NCCI nor Carriers (A/B MACs processing practitioner service claims) have all possible edits based on these principles."

Julie, CPC

Last edited:
cbunti,

I do not agree with the blanket statement that it's appropriate to bill an E&M on every new pain patient. I'm guessing that most of your pain procedures have a 0 or 10 day global period which is a minor surgical procedure. NCCI is very clear on this point. The -25 modifier over-rides the edit allowing payment and is telling the payer that the E&M is significant, separately identifiable from the procedure which I don't believe is ALWAYS the case. I have attached the NCCI link and excerpt below:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/01_overview.asp#TopOfPage

"If a procedure has a global period of 000 or 010 days, it is defined as a minor surgical procedure. The decision to perform a minor surgical procedure is included in the payment for the minor surgical procedure and should not be reported separately as an E&M service. However, a significant and separately identifiable E&M service unrelated to the decision to perform the minor surgical procedure is separately reportable with modifier 25. The E&M service and minor surgical procedure do not require different diagnoses. If a minor surgical procedure is performed on a new patient, the same rules for reporting E&M services apply. The fact that the patient is “new” to the provider is not sufficient alone to justify reporting an E&M service on the same date of service as a minor surgical procedure. NCCI does contain some edits based on these principles, but the Medicare Carriers (A/B MACs processing practitioner service claims) have separate edits. Neither the NCCI nor Carriers (A/B MACs processing practitioner service claims) have all possible edits based on these principles."

Julie, CPC

Excellent point!!! I stand corrected!