Wiki new or established patient

574coding

Guru
Best answers
Hi,
I know this is multi question about specialties/subspecialties.. Thank you now for any info you have on this subject.

I work for a billing company and we are having issues with one of our clients on how to code if the patient is a new patient or established patient.

Here is the lowdown-
1. A provider of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation had left the practice.
2. The patient was seen by his/her ortho provider in the group and he has referred the patient to a new provider in the group.
3. The specialty for that new provider is Anesthesiology/Interventional Pain Medicine.

They all have the same group TIN and the patient saw the provider of physical medicine and rehabilitation within the last years.
Would that be a new or established pt?

Next part of this question is about subspecialties. I looked on the ABMS site. They have under both anesthesiology and physical medicine and Rehabilitation a subspecialties of "Pain Medicine". Does that make both the providers of the "Pain Management" for that patient in the same subspecialties?

What about this...If a pt saw a orthopaedic surgeon in the group for a injury to the hand, this ortho referred the pt to a provider in the same group with the subspecialties of "Surgery of the hand". Would that be a new or established pt?

Do they have a subspecialties of "Surgery of the Spine" or is the ABMS list the one that Medicare follows for specialties and sub specialties?