Wiki New Job as Supervisor Coding & Auditing

krystle8402

Networker
Best answers
I will be starting a new position as Supervisor Coding & Auditing in my organization. Yay! I would like some pointers on what I could do to be a good leader. I have some ideas on what to bring up at meetings, but I would like to hear from others that are in this job field. Thank you!

Great Read for Leaders

Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin is a great read. I have recommended it to many people and they have had a lot of positive feedback. It's not your typical boring leadership book. They have some you tube videos as well.

Congratulations on your promotion !!
Steph

A number of years back when I took my first position that involved supervision responsibilities, I went to a one-day course offered by Fred Pryor Seminars called 'A Crash Course for the First-Time Manager or Supervisor' and found it really helpful, so if this is your first time supervising, I'd recommend checking that out (https://www.pryor.com/training-seminars/crash-course-first-time-manager-supervisor/), or a similar course to get you started. Of course you can't learn everything in one day, but the good thing that it left me with was a very basic foundation on which to build those leadership skills and continue to grow. In my opinion, that is one of the most important qualities of a good leader - always continue to learn and develop yourself. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking you have to have all the answers, and always challenge yourself to be willing to grow. Learn from your employees and listen to them openly, and don't be afraid to let them know when you're not sure about an answer. You will always gain their respect more by being honest than by having all of the right answers. Get to know who they are and what motivates them, and if you show that you genuinely care about them and want to support them, you will earn their loyalty. Congrats and good luck!

Last edited:
Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin is a great read. I have recommended it to many people and they have had a lot of positive feedback. It's not your typical boring leadership book. They have some you tube videos as well.

Congratulations on your promotion !!
Steph

Thank you for the feedback! I will most certainly look for this book, and thank you!!

A number of years back when I took my first position that involved supervision responsibilities, I went to a one-day course offered by Fred Pryor Seminars called 'A Crash Course for the First-Time Manager or Supervisor' and found it really helpful, so if this is your first time supervising, I'd recommend checking that out (https://www.pryor.com/training-seminars/crash-course-first-time-manager-supervisor/), or a similar course to get you started. Of course you can't learn everything in one day, but the good thing that it left me with was a very basic foundation on which to build those leadership skills and continue to grow. In my opinion, that is one of the most important qualities of a good leader - always continue to learn and develop yourself. Don't let yourself fall into the trap of thinking you have to have all the answers, and always challenge yourself to be willing to grow. Learn from your employees and listen to them openly, and don't be afraid to let them know when you're not sure about an answer. You will always gain their respect more by being honest than by having all of the right answers. Get to know who they are and what motivates them, and if you show that you genuinely care about them and want to support them, you will earn their loyalty. Congrats and good luck!

Thank you! I have been in a leadership position for a little over 6 years. However, this will be my first leadership position over a coding/auditing group. I want to absorb as much information from leaders around me who seem to do what you just described. Everything you wrote is what I believe in, but sometimes it's good to get that reassurance from others. :)

I will be starting a new position as Supervisor Coding & Auditing in my organization. Yay! I would like some pointers on what I could do to be a good leader. I have some ideas on what to bring up at meetings, but I would like to hear from others that are in this job field. Thank you!

I managed in a different field for 12 years. This is one thing I learned from that:

Ask the team you will be leading what they would like from you in regard to leadership. You can also ask them what they liked and disliked about their previous leader's management style. You could do this in a request letter and state that anonymous replies are ok if they are not comfortable revealing their identity. You may not be able to fulfill everything they want from a leader, but odds are they know exactly what they want, and some of the things they would like is to be listened to and respected.

This is also a great way to establish that you want the lines of communication to be open, and that they should feel comfortable coming to you with ideas, needs, and concerns.

Last edited:
Coding Supervisor Ideas for Managing

Congrats on the job! Naturally, follow the coding professionals who gave you suggestions. However here are my few suggestions to manage a good coding team.

#1. Monthly meetings to ensure all coders and in unison with department goal with assigned medical specialities and lessening insurance denials.
#2. Be fair and understand they are differ people but should try to do their amount of coding records per Inpt. is differ from OP coding. Also coding surgeries are bit more complex depending in the medical specialities. Productivity reports go out every 60- 90 days really helps coders.

#3. Do not switch the coders over every 2 or 3 months unless you have to..it is more difficult to get in the zone again when abstracting new assign medical practice.
#4. Ongoing coding training is vital. Check out Brainbuilders for medical coding . Coders read a monthly coding newsletter than take a quickie quiz of 10 questions online. It is worth .50 CEU but it helps.

#5. The CAC Encoder is great tool but coders should have access to hard copies of ICD10, CPT and HCPCS manuals around to secure their coding decisions while abstracting .
#6. Set up a query email system using at work message system to the coder's doctors . This query messaging could be done once a week if coders have questions for the docs.

#7 Some coders need a quiet room to code . Then some coders like to wear headphone and listen to talk shows or music. Anyway maybe once a week coder could do that but not every day. I think it may mess with the critical thinking skills. But it is your decision:)
#8 Develop a coding protocol per medical specialty it will help a lot and lessen your insurance denials.
#9 Check out the OIG guide for the year...tell you what the focus on coding and billing for specific issues.

Good Luck!

I hope my ideas help you!

Lady T

Last edited: