Wiki New/Established patient with Medicare

almadcpc

New
Best answers
Help!:mad:

I work for the department of Medicine Medicare has denied our new patient claim stating that pt is established even is the patient has seen with in a different specialty. Example: Patient was seen in the dept of GI and then came in to Cardiologist.
Per Medicare guidelines the patient can be seen as a new patient if they are seen in different specialties and have a different NPI and tax ID. Can anyone HELP.

Help!:mad:

I work for the department of Medicine Medicare has denied our new patient claim stating that pt is established even is the patient has seen with in a different specialty. Example: Patient was seen in the dept of GI and then came in to Cardiologist.
Per Medicare guidelines the patient can be seen as a new patient if they are seen in different specialties and have a different NPI and tax ID. Can anyone HELP.

You are correct and I would certainly appeal your claim if the visit to the Cardiologist was the intial visit.

Refer them to section 30.6.7...

Interpret the phrase “new patient” to mean a patient who has not received any professional services, i.e., E/M service or other face-to-face service (e.g., surgical procedure) from the physician or physician group practice (same physician specialty) within the previous 3 years.

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

Appeals have been submitted to Medicare but our appeals are still being review by the new auditing dept they have and they keep denying our claims as established….

Thanks for your help

We has the same problem and found out our Dr's were credentialed as Internal Medicine and not their specialty.

Our doctors are listed as Internal Medicine-Cardiology or Internal Medicine-Gastroenterology. Don't know how that happened-if it's from a list that gets "clicked" when credentialling or if it is something within our system but we have the same problem.. It's almost like it gets read as Internal Med and doesn't see the "Cardiology" or "gastroenterology" after the hyphen.