Wiki New Dr with patients that follow

Best answers
Hello everyone, our group dermatology practice has a NEW physician joining our group soon.
This Dr was previously in practice and there will be many of her patients following her to her new group. Because of a new tax id/group NPI# would the Dr's patients all the NEW pts as far as the E/M codes? I could see pts getting upset with starting over as new pts - so what is the rule of thumb for this?

Thanks !

Hello, since this provider has seen these patients before, they are established patients. They already have a relationship with this provider and it does not matter that the MD is now seeing them at a different group. The MD has provided professional face-to-face services to the patient within the 3-year timeframe, regardless where this occurred.

I agree with Karolina. Also, there should not be a new individual NPI just for moving to a new practice; once a physician is registered with NPPES, they keep the same NPI; it will just have to be updated with the current practice info.

Thanks for clarifying on this. Yes the only changes are the new tax id# and the group NPI. I understand the indiv. NPI never changes.

thanks again!