Wiki New Coders...

EmilyM

New
Best answers
Just looking for others that are relatively new coders as well.
I started my new job as a medical coder in June. I passed my CPC exam in July.
I'm still learning, but definitely feeling a little more confident. Excited for the moment I feel confident about most of it. I'm sure it will take a few years for that though!

Anyone else out there a new coder, learning not only ICD-10, but Coding as a whole?

Emily M.
CPC-A

I have background dealing with codes and I picked up some things along the way about proper coding but never had any training. So still in training on all of it. Although I wont be seeking a coding job so it will probably be a while before I do real coding. I will sign up for Practicode so I can practice coding real charts in case the day comes I will l need to do production coding.

I really did it so I can take over for a coworker when she retires. It was supposed to be 2-3 years down the road but I was encouraged not to wait and get this all done before I10 is on the proctored test. Now I'm in a rush because the coworker is sick and has been out of work and will likely not be returning. I'm doing half her job now but the other half needs someone certified so I'm trying to get ready to move right in when she leaves.

I mainly deal with the reimbursement side, fee schedules, pricing data for all types of claims and making sure all our systems code groups are up to date.

I am new to coding. I had started working for a billing company doing coding in February and passed the CPC exam in June. I currently am working for a podiatrist doing his coding and just started mid-September. I still have a lot to learn and am working to become certified in his specialty. My previous experience to the billing company was a pediatric clinic doing their billing. Good luck on your exam! My advice would be do the easy questions first, but be careful when you jump around because you always want to make sure you are on the correct line for your answer.

Hi Emily - I'm relatively new as well! I took coding at a local college and decided to sit for the exam a year later (which I passed). Not totally new to codes, however. I am an auditor for a large 3rd party payer in the pacific northwest and deal with a lot of revenue, contracts, DRG calculations and am getting into the HCC coding for risk management as well. Happy to make a connection with you!

Laurel

I am so eager to get experience. I just started my remote coding job in June. I went to my first chapter meeting the other day. I am amazed at how many avenues a CPC can open up for you. By that, I mean, you can not only doing coding, but billing, auditing and others as well. Obviously being credentialed in those specialties if needed. Hard to be the new employee, but I feel like there is great potential in this field!

I have my CPC certification and am now persuing the specialty certification in OB/GYN medical coding. I'm also a doula so I'm hoping to doula part-time and code for Obstetrics...thats my goal :) Best of luck to you.

I started out in a DME office, which is how I was introduced to coding. After a few years doing other things, I did an online program to learn coding. I graduated that this June, started working for a small billing company in town, and passed my CPC in July. I'm definitely just getting into it, and learning, like I know I will be for the rest of my life. I am finding that although I used ICD9 longer, I already love ICD 10, I have memorized so many codes!