Wiki New Coder Help

ssharp

Networker
Best answers
Hi. I am working for a general surgeons office. I am extreamly new to this coding. On top of this I have been informed that we will be adding a Orthopedic Surgeon after the first of the year. Can someone please help guide me through the general surgery and orthopedic surgery world. I have been doing alot of reading as far as the general surgery global packages for medicare, and the NCCI edit tables. I am still unsure with how you tell what medicare will pay for and wont, what procedures are inclusive with others and what medicaid pays for and wont. Also does someone have some modifier advise. Our surgeons like to add 51 and 59 modifiers to all kinds of stuff and i am learning that they are not always correct, they think just because they have done it they can bill for it. I am starting to get denials saying that according to NCCI edits and local coverage determinations, :eek:but when i go to the tables i do not see the codes bumping against each other as some say. If anyone has any notes or resources or even cheat sheets as i would call it that could help i would greatly appreciate it. I have not even begun to look at the Orthopedic side but i will gladly take any help i can get. I have worked hard to get to this point and passing my test was a huge accomplishment. I am scared and do not want to fail at this. Thank You for reading this!

I don't know if you are aware but CMS has a guide "How to Use the Medicare National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) Tools through MLN (Medicare Learning Network). I printed it off and found it useful when I first started. As far as LCD rejections these can be printed off your local Medicare site as well. Often when you get rejections related to LCD's it is because the diagnosis submitted is not listed as a payable diagnosis in the LCD. I have printed/referenced many of the LCD's that pertain to the specialties within the practice I work for. That way you can educate the physicians what is deemed necessary for the services to be covered benefits. Hope this helps. Lisa M.