Wiki New Bills and Rebills

troyp13

New
Best answers
I have a practice that i am billing for that have not billed office visits during a certain time period they are in-network and want to bill these and fix some re-bills. What is the allowed time to do this for the claims?

I have a practice that i am billing for that have not billed office visits during a certain time period they are in-network and want to bill these and fix some re-bills. What is the allowed time to do this for the claims?

That will vary by the payor. If you're an in-network provider, the timely filling limits for both new claims and corrected claims should be spelled out in your network agreement.

Some payor agreements allow 90 days. Some could be one year. Or anything in between. The best way to know for sure is to check what's spelled out in the contract.

Yes, this is payor specific and whatever is specified in your contract. For example, my Cigna contract could give me 120 days while your Cigna contract could be 90 days.
My recommendation (especially if you're approaching 90 days) is to simply get the claims out ASAP while you are researching the contracts. The timely filing requirement is that the insurance won't pay for them after the deadline, not that you cannot submit them. So I would get the claims out today. Then start my research about the timely filing - both for initial submission and corrected claim. Create a spreadsheet for myself. If/when I receive denials for timely filing and it truly was not timely, then write off the charge.