Wiki New 2015 Wound VAC codes

chrislyn1977

Networker
Best answers
Good morning :eek:

I have a question about application of wound vacs. It seems like the new codes that now include terminology "DME" and "Disposable" have my provider confused and now myself..lol.

The provider brings the patient in for a follow up...documents assessment of the wound (size, granulation, appearance of infection etc). He then documents a procedure for application of wound vac. He basically changes the sponge and hooks the patient back up to the wound vac. He also documents the size of the wound again and gives the patient instructions to continue the VAC, changing it every 3-5 days and to follow up in 3-4 weeks.

He is stating that we would never bill 97605 (DME) in the office since what he changed was the disposable portion(sponge) of the wound vac. He states we should always bill 97607/97608 for disposable.

To me the terms DME versus disposable reference the type of machine the patinet has. Most insurance companies consider disposable wound vacs to be investigational and our Medicare carrier doesn't have any pricing associated with it.

I need help with understanding this. Maybe I'm incorrect.

Thanks so much!
Christy Brown