Wiki Need Verification for CPT Codes for Alcohol Risk Education Courses

cmkobe

Best answers
I am a new COC. Most of the training I have received so far has focused on physical ailments, so my current task is outside my experience.

I have been hired by a clinicial psychologist (PhD) whose business offers courses for clients who have been convicted of driving while under the influence of alcohol. These state-mandated courses educate the clients about how much alcohol they can safely drink before driving.

The doctor wants me to tell her what codes to use for her services. I believe I have the correct codes, but I'd feel more comfortable if someone (or several someones) could verify that I've chosen the right ones, and that the "multiples" are formatted correctly.

Here are the courses and services she offers. Notes:

a. She teaches the courses herself, and she is considered a "qualified health professional."
b. These are all face-to-face courses with up to 15 students each.

1) A 10-hour Psycho-Ed Risk Education course consisting of 3-3 hour sessions and 1 1-hour session, all on different days. My codes:

Class 1: 99412 x 3
Class 2: 99412 x 3
Class 3: 99412 x 3
Class 4: 99412

2) A 12-hour Psycho-Ed Early Intervention course consisting of 4-3 hour sessions.

Class 1: 99412 x 3
Class 4: 99412 x 3

3) A 20-hour Psycho-Ed Treatment program consisting of 1-2 hour session and 6-3 hour sessions.

Class 1: 99412 x 2
Class 4: 99412 x 3
Class 5: 99412 x 3
Class 6: 99412 x 3
Class 7: 99412 x 3

4) Each student in all three courses also receives an initial face-to-face, individual, detailed interview focused on the client's use of alcohol and the client's personal history. This meeting is normally one hour long. Code: 99404

5) Last, each student in all three courses also receives one face-to-face individual progress assessement sometime during the course. The meeting lasts 10-15 minutes. Code: 99401.

So, what do you think? Do these sound right? Or are there better codes for these situations?

Thank you for your assistance!!!

Colleen Kobe
Calumet, Michigan

I'm not sure about the codes but just want to make sure you are aware DUI intervention/diversion classes are typically not covered by insurance. You may need to get a waiver signed by the patient to acknowledge it wont be covered.