Wiki Need some help!!!!

TYSON1234

Guru
Best answers
Pt was seen as a new patient- her pregnancy was confirmed with another OB/GYN Dr. She conceived with an iud, so she came to the office to see if the iud could be removed. An ultrasound was done to ck placement. My question is, what should I use for the dx code on the new pt office visit. I know I would use v2542 for the u/s. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

You will need to use a pregnancy code first listed either one of the V codes for supervision or a code from chapter 11 for pregnancy with a complication.

the OB global starts with the first encounter after confirmation of pregnancy. According to your post the pregnancy was confirmed prior to this encounter so this is the start of the OB global.

The problem I have with this is, this is a complication and NO she didn't do an ob visit. According to ACOG Ob/Gyn Coding Manual, ob visits include recording of weight, blood pressure, fht and urine dip.

complications during pregnancy are a part of the global, You can code it as high risk if the provider indicates this, but you knew she was pregnant when the visit was made you knew you would be the OB provider. I see no way around it.

complications during pregnancy global?

I was taught through AAPC coursework that complications during pregnancy are not a part of the global package ie complications from Chapter 11 for example; and can be billed without breaking the global OB package if pt is seen in the hospital or outpatient basis by the same provider. Can you elaborate on this? It has been a great point of confusion since I started the OBGYN practice. Thanks,

Lisa Gaines

I agree with you mlgaines. If you look in ACOG's Coding Manual under antepartum care, it states management of inpatient/outpatient medical problems or complications related to pregnancy is EXCLUDED from global service and can be reported separately.