Wiki Need some help on shoulder labral repairs

amartinez1

Best answers
Procedure was arthorscopic superior anterior and posterior labrum repair. Different anchors were used for both and two different portals were used. Can i bill the slap repair twice or is there a different code to use for this procedure. Im thinking it will only be the 29807 but my physician says no we should bill it twice because two different portals were made. This doesn't sound like the right thing to do. Any suggestions?

Please help me!!!!!

No, you cannot bill it twice as there is an MUE (multiple units edit) of 1 on the 29807. What it sounds like, what was performed by your provider is a reverse Bankart and a Bankart repair.

You can only bill 29807 once. I have looked at the same scenerio over and over because my physician wants to bill it out twice. There is only one capsule in the shoulder therefore, it can be charged only once. I found this in an AAOS bulletin, I did not keep it - but you probably could find it on the AAOS website, August comes to mind.

Type III SLAP lesions are bucket-handle tears and can be either debrided or repaired; use 29822 or 29807, whichever is appropriate. Adding code 29806 (Arthroscopy, shoulder, surgical, capsulorrhaphy) for repair of a SLAP lesion is never appropriate unless there is a capsular defect in an area different than the SLAP. This is one of the most common coding errors. Even if a staple or other device goes through the capsule to repair the SLAP, capsulorrhaphy should not be coded separately.
By Robert H. Haralson III, MD, MBA, Richard Friedman, MD, and Margie Scalley Vaught, CPC, CCS-P, ACS-OR, MCS-P