Wiki Need some help here guys...

Certification

Hi,

If you are considering becoming a certified coder, I strongly suggest you pursue via AAPC or AHIMA. Unfortunately, many coding schools do not come close to meeting the requirements of these two organizations. Refer to your local job listings and you will see AAPC and AHIMA mentioned under coding requirements. Good luck !

I would strongly back up what was said above. I took a college program that met the requirements for taking the CPC and am now in an online review course offered by the AAPC which is excellent.

Don't do it!

The coding course offered by an AAPC instructor is a MUCH better way to go than paying a community, TV or online college. They will teach a lot of things you do not need to know in order to work in the field and will not teach you things needed to know to pass the CPC exam. The cost of the AAPC course and CPC test is nominal compared to the thousands of dollars those schools want. I tell anyone who is considering becoming a certified coder to not waste their money going through a billing and coding course you see on TV commercials. You will pass the class but they tell you NOTHING about the fact that you have to take a test through the AAPC to become certified, and that that test is not covered in their tuition. Check out the AAPC's website for classes near you, or if you prefer to take the course online that is an option. I myself found that a classroom setting helped me to understand the information a lot better.
Good luck!

Jennifer Livingston CPC
St. Elizabeth's Health Center