Wiki Need help with confusing Medicare

mitzfritz215

Best answers
Just a few questions -

When Medicare posts that the patient has a deductible and the patient has Medicaid but they don't pay does the patient still owe the deductible? Sometimes I see Medicaid does pay for part of the deductible (but I think it's in error on their part). I have seen when Mediaid has come back some time later and take the payment out of the system.

Do I write off the balance due if Medicaid posts "Denial"? I usually don't write those off due to not being eligibile. Should I? I see in the system that another employee before me wrote them off when it read "Denial". I usually write off the posts that read "Did not pay on the Charge".

Last one - Does anyone know why Medicare would not pay on the charge (when the patient is still on Medicare) and take the full amount and adjust it off? I see this all the time and I'm not sure why they do it.

Thanks for your help.

The answer to the first, the Medicare payment is usually more than Medicaid allows. As to the deductible, I wouldn't write off the deductible. I would question why Medicaid isn't paying. If you have a contract with Medicaid and they say patient is not respnosible do not bill the patient. Find out why they didn't pay and why the claim was denied. Appeal if necessary.

I would also question why Medicare is not paying a charge. Sometimes, its their error. Sometimes its for a simple modifier or dx code. You need to question why you are being asked to adj a claim off before you write it off.