Wiki Need Help new to Interventional Radiology Codeing

wanetta37

Best answers
Hello,

Please Help!

Case:

Patient has renal failure on dialysis and severe peripheral artery disease bilaterally.
He had rest pain in the right foot.

Preoperative diagnosis: rest pain right foot, and stage renal disease
Post operative diagnosis: right superficial femoral arteries stenosis ,right anterior tibial artery stenosis, right posterior tibial artery occlusion.

Procedure: aortogram with runoff, right leg angiogram with right superficial femoral artery atherectomy and angioplasty, right anterior tibial artery atherectomy and angioplasty, right posterior tibial artery angioplasty:
The patient was brought to the catheterization lab and placed in the supine position. He was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion.

The left common femoral artery was percutaneously accessed using a micro puncture said. Left leg angiogram showed multifocal high-grade superficial femoral artery stenosis.

Aortogram was done and it showed normal aorta and iliac vessels.

Right leg angiogram showed a 90% stenosis in the mid superficial femoral artery , 95% right anterior tibial artery stenosis, posterior tibial artery occlusion.

Sheaths and guide wires were placed appropriately and a CSI orbital atherectomy device was used on The anterior tibial artery and the superficial femoral artery. Balloon angioplasty was done with a 3 mm balloon on the anterior tibial artery and a 6 mm balloon was used on me superficial femoral artery stenosis with a very good result.

While there was persistent luminal irregularities in the superficial femoral artery, the flow was brisk and we established flow down to the foot which he did not have before.

This was felt to be an excellent result. I remove the guide wires and catheters and obtained hemostasis using a mynx device which worked very well. The patient had greatly improved flow to his foot and went to the recovery room in satisfactory condition with excellent refill in his foot and significant pain relief.

He will return for a similar procedure on the left leg.

CPT 37225, 37229, 37228,75625,75716-59, 36200 and/or 36140

Please let me know what will be the correcting coding for this case

Wanetta37

Hello,

Please Help!

Case:

Patient has renal failure on dialysis and severe peripheral artery disease bilaterally.
He had rest pain in the right foot.

Preoperative diagnosis: rest pain right foot, and stage renal disease
Post operative diagnosis: right superficial femoral arteries stenosis ,right anterior tibial artery stenosis, right posterior tibial artery occlusion.

Procedure: aortogram with runoff, right leg angiogram with right superficial femoral artery atherectomy and angioplasty, right anterior tibial artery atherectomy and angioplasty, right posterior tibial artery angioplasty:
The patient was brought to the catheterization lab and placed in the supine position. He was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion.

The left common femoral artery was percutaneously accessed using a micro puncture said. Left leg angiogram showed multifocal high-grade superficial femoral artery stenosis.

Aortogram was done and it showed normal aorta and iliac vessels.

Right leg angiogram showed a 90% stenosis in the mid superficial femoral artery , 95% right anterior tibial artery stenosis, posterior tibial artery occlusion.

Sheaths and guide wires were placed appropriately and a CSI orbital atherectomy device was used on The anterior tibial artery and the superficial femoral artery. Balloon angioplasty was done with a 3 mm balloon on the anterior tibial artery and a 6 mm balloon was used on me superficial femoral artery stenosis with a very good result.

While there was persistent luminal irregularities in the superficial femoral artery, the flow was brisk and we established flow down to the foot which he did not have before.

This was felt to be an excellent result. I remove the guide wires and catheters and obtained hemostasis using a mynx device which worked very well. The patient had greatly improved flow to his foot and went to the recovery room in satisfactory condition with excellent refill in his foot and significant pain relief.

He will return for a similar procedure on the left leg.

CPT 37225, 37229, 37228,75625,75716-59, 36200 and/or 36140

Please let me know what will be the correcting coding for this case

Wanetta37

Angioplasty is bundled into atherectomy/ stent placement codes. Lt Leg is not described, so I would bill for a unilateral extremity, as well as an abdominal aortogram since renal arteries are not described. As for catheter placement, they are bundled into the intervention.
Hope that helps,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Question to Jim

I am just getting back into IR after 4 years away, and I know there have been a lot of changes. I have two questions about the report and your response:
1. Can you bill for the aortagram even though the catheter move to the aorta isn't documented?
2. The outline of procedures at the top include a posterior tibial artery angioplasty, but it wasn't documented in the body of the report. If it had been documented, could that angioplasty also be coded?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I am just getting back into IR after 4 years away, and I know there have been a lot of changes. I have two questions about the report and your response:
1. Can you bill for the aortagram even though the catheter move to the aorta isn't documented?
2. The outline of procedures at the top include a posterior tibial artery angioplasty, but it wasn't documented in the body of the report. If it had been documented, could that angioplasty also be coded?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1.If the catheter is placed in the lower abdominal aorta, no you can't bill for the aortogram. Need to have the renal arteries reported.
2. Yes, if it's reported/documented, then bill for it. I saw a quote from Radiology Business Management Association, "if it's not documented, it didn't happen".

Thanks for your question,
Jim