Wiki Need help-lots of

coachlang3

True Blue
Best answers
I am now entering anesthesia charges for our practice at our endoscopy suite for colons and EGDs. We just started doing this and I'm the guinea pig to get it done.

I am going to act dumb and ask if someone could tell me exactly how I should be entering in a charge for these. I know the two codes 00740 and 00810 and the status modifiers, but I don't understand the when? The CRNA's are giving me the anesthesia record for every patient though but it was my understanding that sedation is included in certain procedures.

So like I said, explain to me like the complete process like I'm a complete coding newbie!!

I'm begging for help here, lol. :eek: You can PM me too.

Thanks,
Fred

Did you get anyone to help you yet?

You sound so pitiful!

The colonoscopies and EGDs generally don't include sedation. We always charge for the anesthesia for them at our hospital.

Hope this helps!

Hi Fred,

Many payers have criteria for anesthesia for endoscopy, so the first thing you need to do is check with your major payers. Ours are Medicare, Medicaid, Blue Cross.. etc.

Then ask your providers to be thorough in indicating any underlying conditions that the patients may have. We put together a criteria sheet for our providers to mark. It includes a list of conditions that meet criteria and a check box for "none of the criteria met"

If your patient doesn't meet criteria have them sign a waiver (again check with payers on their policies) so that you can bill them.

For diagnoses: Bill the reason for endoscopy first, then any underlying conditions. If the patient is in for a screening bill V76.51 first then any findings then underlying conditions. Bill time like any other anesthesia case.

You're welcome! We've been doing these for years, in 6 different states. Let me know if there's anything more specific you need help with! PM me if needed.