Wiki Need help in this knee scope

hlmcintyre

Best answers
Physician did partial medial and lateral menisectomies, debridement medial femoral condyle chodnro,medial plica excision and loose body removal.

I know the procedure for the medial and lateral menisectomies is 29880 but in the op note he states "The patellofemoral jt was entered. There was a large plica involving the medial gutter region. using teh shaver and the arthrocare wand device, this was removed and hemostasis achieved with the arthrocare wand device. The medial part was then reentered and thoroughly irrigated.
My question is whether i can bill for 29875 for removal of the medial plica. It was removed through the patellafemoral jt or if there is a medial plica is it considered inclusive of the medial menisectomy? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I would think that because it was done in the PF compartment that it would be coded as such and not with the Menisectomies as it was a separate procedure done only once entering the PF compartment.
I would code it with a 59 modifier.

29875-59

thank you for you help. When i read that it was done in the pf jt i thought it might be. Thanks for your help.