Wiki Need help deciding which set of codes to use

knperry

Guru
Best answers
Hello All!
I need help in deciding which codes to use for the surgery listed below. The codes are 11042 & 11045 or should I go with 97597 & 97598? Please let me know how you were able to choose so I will know. Thanks

The patient was brought back to the operating room, placed prone on the operating table after being intubated. A pre-operative rectal exam was performed and impacted stool was removed. The patient’s back was prepped with betadine and draped in sterile drapes. a time-out was performed. The patient did receive antibiotics prior to the procedure. Consent was verified. We began by using a scalpel to excise the obviously infected skin overlying the sacral decubitus ulcer and carry incision down to the level of the presacral fascia. We used sharp debridement of an area measuring approximately 25 cm x 20 c0 cm of her lower back, excising all obviously necrotic tissue. There were number of the grey fascial tissues, which were debrided. The infection extended down the left posterior thigh. This was opened. We used the pulse irrigator with Clorpactin to irrigate the wound and then packed the wound with Clorpactin soaked kerlix. Sponge, instrument and needle counts were correct and checked twice. The patient remained intubated, was on multiple pressor when leaving the operating room. She was transferred to the ICU in critical condition. There were no complications.

The note states that the debridement was to the level of the fascia and that fascial tissue was debrided, so the correct codes for that portion of the procedure would be 11043 and 11046.