Wiki Need E & M code for this HPI

carol52

Expert
Best answers
HPI: Pt presented for screening colonoscopy.

The rest of the H & P I comprehensive ROS, comprehensive Exam . I am trying to educate Dr circled 99203 . What can I say ?

The rest of the H & P I comprehensive ROS, comprehensive Exam . I am trying to educate Dr circled 99203 . What can I say ?

Well that looks more like the Chief Complaint. There is no HPI in that statement. And was there documentation of PFSH?

This sounds to be like the "reason for the visit", no chief complaint listed here that I see and not much of an HPI in my opinion. I'd show the doctor the CPT manual the green pages and also go the the cpt code range he/she picked where it describes what is required as well.

This sounds to be like the "reason for the visit", no chief complaint listed here that I see and not much of an HPI in my opinion. I'd show the doctor the CPT manual the green pages and also go the the cpt code range he/she picked where it describes what is required as well.

I think the "reason for the visit" and "chief complaint" are one in the same. This is what I got from the description in the CPT book anyway. But there definitely is not HPI in this documentation.

E/M is part of the colonoscopy

If the patient came to you for a colonoscopy, the evaluation is part of the reimbursement for the procedure. You should not be billing ANY E/M separately.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

So, even though the patient was referred to the Dr (Surgeon) and had not been in the office before to discuss the c-scope you cannot bill for the E & M ?