Wiki Need cpt for Hysterscopy without removal of IUD

kzcoder

Networker
Best answers
I need help on the following:

Provider did a hysteroscopy for an IUD that had translocate as shown on films. However, he could not find the IUD despite consultation with radiology and another OBGYN helping. A curettage was performed. After the unsuccessful procedure the patient had a KUB and it was discovered the IUD was now by the sigmoid colon and the patient was scheduled for future surgery.

How do I code the procedure? I don't believe 58562 is correct because there was not a removal of a foreign body. One coder thought 48562-53; however, the 53 modifier is not appropriate. Maybe a 52?

A biopsy was not performed so I don't think I can use 58558. 58555 is for diagnostic and that does not seem to fit.

Thanks for your help!

I would use 58558. The doctor did perform a Hysteroscope with curettage. I wouldn't use a modifier because the procedure was completed it just didn't provide the desired result (finding the IUD).

I would use 58558. The doctor did perform a Hysteroscope with curettage. I wouldn't use a modifier because the procedure was completed it just didn't provide the desired result (finding the IUD).

Agree with this and the CPT Assistant article on what is included in this code, including the definition of a biopsy, will support the use of 58558. It appears in the April 1997 edition. I can't copy it to this post due to copyrights, but yes, use 58558.