Wiki Need Correct Fluroscopic Guidance CPT for 64445 Sciatic Nerve Injection

Shanny0113

Best answers
I am getting conflicting information. Optum's encoder pro says to use 77003, I've seen posts here on AAPC that say to use 77002. My CPT book does not list 64445 as the primary code for either 77002 or 77003. The system doesn't accept either. Help?

Thank you
Shannon

According to supercoder, in the description of 64445:
In a posterior approach, the patient lies down on his side with the operative side up, and the leg flexed at the knee, if possible. The patient is appropriately prepped and draped, and the provider maps the location of the physical landmarks with a marker pen and triangulates the location of the initial needle placement. He then uses a syringe to inject the anesthetic agent via a single shot. The provider uses a nerve stimulator, ultrasound probe, or fluoroscopy to localize the sciatic nerve, ascertain successful needle placement, and to ensure the spread of the local anesthetic solution around the sciatic nerve. The limb will remain insensitive for a time after injection, depending on the type and amount of anesthetic. In general, the duration of a sciatic block is longer than other nerve blocks and can last as long as 36 to 48 hours in some cases.
I interpret this (along with 64445 not listed as a base code for 77002 or 77003) as the fluoroscopy is included. This is not really my area of expertise, and I don't have an official source, but that is what I infer from this.
Certainly, if someone disagrees and can back that up, I might change my mind. Hope this helps at least a little!